BRUSCHETTA - TOMATO JAM, KALAMATA OLIVE, PROSCIUTTO
• 2 ½ Pounds Roma Tomatoes, peeled, seeded
• 1 Pound Sweet White Onion, julienned
• 1 Knob of Ginger, 2 inches, peeled, minced
• 2 Lemons, zested and juiced
• ¾ Tsp Ground Cumin
• ¼ Tsp Ground Cloves
• 2 Cinnamon Sticks
• ½ Tsp Crushed Red Pepper
• 2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
• 2 Cup Turbinado Sugar
• ¼ Cup Vegetable Broth, or Water
• 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
• 1 Loaf of Ciabatta, split, cut into 1-inch slices
• 1 Cup Kalamata Olives, chopped
• 12 Slices of Prosciutto
• ¼ Cup Olive Oil
• 3 Garlic Cloves, split
• To Taste Salt & Black Pepper, freshly-ground
1. Peel and seed tomatoes. To peel, blanch tomatoes whole in boiling water until the skin is loose. Remove from boiling water and place the tomatoes into ice water to stop the cooking process. When cool to touch, peel off the skin. After peeling, split tomatoes lengthwise and use fingers to scrape the seeds out from between the ribs of the tomato, so all that is remaining is the flesh. Discard seeds.
2. Peel and chop the onion, julienned, in long thin strips.
3. Peel and mince the ginger.
4. Zest and juice the lemons.
5. In medium stock pot, heat olive oil, add onions and sweat over medium heat. Cook until translucent color begins to develop in the onion.
6. Add tomatoes, sugar and spices. Bring to simmer, stirring frequently until sugar is completely dissolved and liquid temperature reaches 220°F, using a candy thermometer to measure.
7. Add remaining ingredients for the jam; vegetable broth, minced ginger, balsamic vinegar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Cook over low heat until a jam-like consistency is reached. Spoon out and discard cinnamon sticks.
8. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, transfer to a food processor or blender and pulse until the tomatoes are smooth. Set aside and allow to cool completely.
9. For bruschetta: Preheat oven to 450˚F.
10. Split Ciabatta and cut into 1-inch slices. Brush both sides with olive oil and rub each side with split cloves of garlic.
11. Place Ciabatta pieces on a baking sheet and toast in oven for about 4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
12. Spread some of the tomato jam on each slice of toasted bread, top with chopped Kalamata olives, followed by 1 to 2 slices of prosciutto. Repeat for remaining pieces.