GRILLED BEEF BRACIOLA
This classic Sicilian dish calls for an equally rustic red wine, like our Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.
• 3 bunches lacinato kale (ribs removed, chopped)
• 1⁄2 cup diced yellow onion
• 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
• 1⁄2 cup red currants (soaked in cold water for 30 min)
• 1⁄4 cup toasted pine nuts
• 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
• 1 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
• Salt to taste diced
• Prepared kale stuffing
• 4 - 6-8 ounce skirt steaks (trimmed of all excess fat) 4 lemons (cut in half)
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Olive oil to taste
• 12 bamboo skewers or toothpicks
1. Heat a medium-sized sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and onion.
2. Sauté for 1-2 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Add garlic and cook for one more minute. Add the kale and season with salt and chili flakes (if using).
3. Cook the kale over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until soft. If the leaves begin to brown, add a couple spoonfuls of water to the pan.
4. Empty the kale, onions and garlic into a medium-sized mixing bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Stir to combine, then spread out on a baking tray and place into the refrigerator to cool. This can be made ahead.
1. Preheat grill or broiler to high. Soak 12 bamboo skewers or toothpicks in water. Lay each skirt steak between two pieces of plastic film. Using a meat mallet or a heavy sauté pan, pound the steak to equal thickness. If the steaks are equal to begin with, skip this step. Season each steak with salt and pepper.
2. Divide the kale stuffing equally between the four steaks. Working one at a time, roll the steak in a pinwheel fashion, tucking the stuffing in with your fingertips as you go. Use three skewers or toothpicks to secure each roll.
3. Drizzle the rolls with olive oil and place onto preheated grill or pan for broiler. Meanwhile, drizzle the lemon halves with olive oil and place onto grill or pan as well.
4. Grill the rolls on all sides until medium rare in or the temperature registers 130 degrees in the center. Once the lemons are charred, remove and set onto plates.
5. Remove the sewers gently, taking care to keep the rolls intact. Slice each into 2-3 pieces and fan out onto plates. Drizzle with olive oil and serve with the charred lemons.