• 3 pounds very ripe red tomatoes (cored and cut into large chunks)
• 3 cups chopped yellow onion
• 5 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
• 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1 cup unsalted butter
• 3 quarts old crusty bread cut into 1-inch cubes
• 1⁄2 cup red wine
• 1 cup whole basil leaves
• 2 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
• 1 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes (optional)
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 8-10 basil leaves, torn into rustic pieces
• 2 cups small cubed crusty bread
• 2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
• Olive oil to taste
1. Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and butter, then stir until all the butter is melted and begins to foam.
2. Add the onions, oregano, basil and chili flakes and cook for 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1-2 minutes more, stirring and taking care not to allow the garlic to brown.
3. Add the bread cubes and continue to cook and stir for 5-6 minutes to allow the bread to absorb the some of the pan liquids. Add the tomatoes and red wine and season aggressively with salt and black pepper.
4. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring often, for 45 minutes until all the tomatoes have broken down and the soup begins to thicken.
5. Puree in a blender or pass through a food mill fitted with a fine sieve.
Garnish and Serve
1. Ladle the soup into warm bowls and equally divide the garnish on top of each bowl.
2. Drizzle each with olive oil.