Louis M. Martini’s decision to settle in Napa Valley was driven by a desire to craft exceptional wines by sourcing the best fruit possible. In the years that followed Prohibition, he established a legacy of craftsmanship and a passion for Napa Valley that continues to this day. Our history reflects the vision, ingenuity and endurance of a family committed to making the best Cabernet Sauvignon possible.
At age 12, Louis M. Martini travels from Genoa, Italy, to the United States to join his father in San Francisco.
Louis M. makes his first wine with his father in San Francisco; his father sends him back to Italy to study winemaking.
L.M. Martini Grape Products Company is established, focusing on the production of sacramental wine and concentrate for home winemaking during Prohibition.
Louis M. builds his new winery in St. Helena, north of the town of Napa, anticipating the repeal of Prohibition. Louis M. Martini Winery secures its bond # 3596 on September 19, 1933, but was not allowed to sell the wine until December 5, 1933.
Louis M. Martini is one of the first wineries to use cold (controlled) fermentation.
The Martini family purchases the Goldstein Ranch on the Sonoma side of the Mayacamas Mountains, later renaming it Monte Rosso Vineyard.
Louis M. helps to establish the Napa Valley Vintners Association with the aim of developing and promoting the quality of Napa Valley wines worldwide.
Louis P. Martini, son of Louis M., becomes one of the first winegrowers to use wind machines to prevent frost in the vineyards.
Louis P. is given full responsibility as winemaker by his father.
Louis M. Martini Winery is among the first to bottle a varietal Merlot in California.
Upon graduation from the wine program at the University of California, Davis, Mike Martini takes over as winemaker.
The Louis P. Martini endowment for Viticulture and Enological Research is established at UC Davis.
The Gallo winemaking family, close friends of the Martini family for three generations, purchases the winery and vineyards.
Cellar No. 254, an artisan winery, is completed at the Louis M. Martini Winery site in St. Helena to focus on small-lot productions.
Louis P. Martini is inducted into the Vintner’s Hall of Fame as a “Pioneer,” recognized for his significant contributions to the California wine industry.
Michael Eddy, who spent a decade under the tutelage of Mike Martini, is named winemaker. He is the first non-Martini family member in history to hold the title.
2013 Lot No. 1 Cabernet Sauvignon awarded a perfect 100-point score by Robert Parker’s The Wine Advocate.
A significant restoration of the original winery is completed, introducing an array of world-class tasting and culinary experiences.