4 ounces unsalted butter
1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
1 quart whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
6 cups grated Pecorino
18 egg yolks
1 tablespoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Non-stick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter until foamy. Add the flour and whisk to incorporate. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium low heat for 3-4 minutes.
2. Add the milk and cream and whisk to combine. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly so the mixture doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Remove from the heat and whisk in the egg yolks one at a time. Whisk in the Pecorino and garlic powder.
3. Prepare 4-ounce baking ramekins or aluminum cups with non-stick cooking spray. Pour the budino mixture into each cup, filling about 75% to the top.
4. Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Place the budino cups into a high-sided baking dish and carefully pour in enough boiling water to come up about a third of the way up the sides of the cups. Cover with aluminum foil and carefully place into the oven, being careful not to splash the water.
5. Bake for 45 minutes, then remove the foil and bake 15 minutes more or until set. When you shake the ramekins, the budino should have a firm jiggle without being liquid to the touch. Remove from the water and cool at room temperature.
6. When ready to serve, preheat broiler. Slide the budinos underneath the broiler until golden brown, crusty and bubbling. Turn out from the baking ramekins using a kitchen towel.