BUTTERNUT SQUASH GRATIN
• 4 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
• 1 ea Medium Sweet Onion, julienne
• 1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme, chopped
• 1 Tbsp Fresh Rosemary, chopped
• 2 ea Small Butternut Squash, sliced 1/4” thick
• 2 ea Garlic Cloves, minced
• ¼ tsp Ground Mace
• 1 pinch Ground Cinnamon
• To Taste Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper
• 1 c Chicken or Vegetable Broth
• ½ c Heavy Cream
• 2 Tbsp Grated Parmesan Cheese
• 2 Tbsp Flat Leaf Parsley, Chopped
• ½ c Aged White Cheddar Cheese, grated
• ¼ c Breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 375˚. In a large skillet melt 3 Tbsp of butter and add onion and thyme. Cook over medium-low heat for about 10-15 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
2. Add squash to the pan and increase the heat. Stir to combine ingredients and sprinkle with a little salt, mace and cinnamon. Continue to cook for 1 minute.
3. Add broth and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until broth is mostly absorbed, about 5 minutes. Then add cream and continue to simmer until slightly thickened.
4. Melt remaining tablespoon of butter and toss with breadcrumbs, parsley, and parmesan cheese.
5. Transfer squash mixture to a casserole dish and sprinkle with bread crumb mixture and grated cheddar cheese.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving.