1 lb Boneless beef short ribs, split into 4 portions
1 Tbsp Ground espresso
1 Tbsp Kosher salt
1 Tsp Ground black pepper
6 ea Slices of bacon, diced
1 ea Sweet onion (Vidalia or Walla Walla), roughly diced
1 ea Fuji apple, roughly diced
1 ea Fennel bulb, roughly diced
1 Cup Chicken or beef stock
1 Tbsp Brown sugar
1/4 Cup Canola oil
Preheat oven to 300 ̊.
1. Sprinkle short ribs with salt and pepper and then rub the espresso on each piece evenly.
2. Heat oil in Dutch oven and sear meat until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
3. Transfer meat to a baking tray and add the bacon and onions to the pan.
4. Cook over medium heat until bacon begins to brown. Then add apple, fennel and brown sugar and continue to cook for about 5-8 minutes or until the fennel and apple begin to soften.
5. Place short ribs back in the pan and add the broth. Place a lid on the Dutch oven and bake in the oven for about 3 hours, or until the meat is fork tender.
6. Remove from the oven and carefully transfer the ribs from the pan. Place the remaining ingredients into a blender. Then blend on high for 1 minute and strain through a fine mesh sieve into a small saucepan.
7. Bring the puree to a simmer and pour over the short ribs to serve.